It may be a little bit damp out today but as they say there’s no bad weather just the wrong clothes! The 6th Corsham Walking Festival opens today with the first of our walks taking place this afternoon.
We still have spaces available for walks on Saturday and Sunday. Check out our Festival Walks page for more information.
We hope you enjoy the events going on over the weekend. Here are some hints and tips to help you get the most out of the Festival.
- Weather: At this range it looks like it will be fairly cool (13c – 15c) throughout the weekend, with a chance of showers – particularly on the Friday afternoon. The walks will go ahead come rain or shine, so keep an eye on the forecast and please ensure you are suitably equipped with drinks and footwear/clothing.
- Parking: There is free parking at the Springfield Campus. Please use the rear car park if possible – especially if you are leaving your car while going on one of the longer walks. On Saturday and Sunday, overflow parking is available in The Corsham School – entrance is beside the all weather pitch/Campus rear car park. For walks starting away from the Springfield Campus, there is normally off road parking available at the start location. Please park considerately and/or share transport where possible.
- Tickets: We are not issuing paper tickets and will register walkers using lists prepared by the booking office. You may have received a confirmation email during the booking process – but this is not required for registration purposes.
- Registration: Ensure you turn up at the start point in sufficient time to register for your walk. In the majority of cases this will be in the exhibition area inside the Springfield Campus. As part of the registration process you will be asked to confirm the first part of your post code (eg SN13) and your email address. The former is so that we can get a better picture of where our walkers are from – the latter so that we can send out a very short survey after the festival weekend. For walks starting away from the Springfield Campus, your Walk Leader will complete the registration at the meeting point.
- Emergency Contact Number: For the duration of the Festival you can contact the Festival staff in the Springfield Campus on 07949 122119. Please let us know if you are no longer able to join the walk to avoid unnecessary delays.
- Cafe: The cafe in the Springfield Campus will remain open as usual on Friday and Satruday and will open from 1400 – 1700 on the Sunday so that there is an opportunity to socialise over a drink at the end of your walk.
- Walk Commencement: After you have registered, you are welcome to use the cafe or browse the displays in the exhibition area until your Walk Leader calls you together for the walk. Note it is likely that you will be leaving the Campus via a door at the far end of the exhibition area so please ensure you do not get left behind. Walk Leaders have been instructed to leave promptly at the advertised time.
- Walk Briefing: The Walk Leader will give a safety briefing before the start of each walk; if you have any concerns please bring them to the attention of the Walk Leader before the walk commences.
- Security: Please do not leave any items unattended at any time. Coin operated (refundable) lockers are available in the Springfield Campus.
- Publicity: A reminder that we will be taking photos for publicity purposes on all walks with the exception of the Children’s Treasure Hunt.
- Quiz and Buffet: If you have booked a place for the Quiz and Buffet on Saturday evening, please ensure that any dietary requirements have been notified in advance. There will be a cash bar selling wines, beers and soft drinks. There will also be a raffle with all proceeds going once again to Wiltshire Air Ambulance.
And finally – enjoy yourself walking in our fantastic countryside!